Paris: Day 1

16 Mar

Bonjour tout le monde! We have made it- safe and sound!

Following a very long flight, we landed in Paris at 9am their time to warm sunshine and breezy French accents.  Despite the advice of many, we decided to take a taxi from the airport to our apartment rather than brave the metro system.  Sleep deprivation, little caffeine-intake and 2 large suitcases do not make for ideal travel companions on a foreign public transport system.

Our taxi driver, Alain, was very helpful and taught us some helpful hints to navigating the city of lights for the next week.

After unpacking and getting the essentials sorted out, we hit the streets both in an effort to become acquainted with our neighbourhood and to fight off the jet-leg.  Our walk turned into a 4 hour sojourn across the 1st, 3rd and 4th arrondissements of Paris.  I now truly understand how French women are so skinny, these people just walk (or bike) everywhere.  My run should be very interesting tomorrow.

It has been 11 years since my last visit to Paris, and already I have fallen madly in love with this city.  But it’s funny; having lived in Montreal these past 5 years, I feel as if I’m visiting the Old Port in Montreal.  Perhaps when I’m back, I’ll feel as if I’m back in Paris whenever I visit the Old Port?

Our first order of business was the café.

We selected a quaint café in the 3rd: Le Comptoir Turenne and were lucky enough to score a spot on their patio to people watch and sip on café crème. We each indulged in an entrée: Mom got a Tartine, I ordered a Turenne, which was a massive salad topped with three crusty pieces of bread smothered in goats cheese and honey.

We then proceeded to walk, and walk, and walk some more. Some highlights included :

The Cathédrale Saint-Eustache:

A really unique kitchen supplies store with all kinds of interesting knick-knacks and possibly the largest ladle known to mankind:

Despite all this, I think this just may be my absolute favorite sighting so far:

It’s like they knew me or something 😉

To say today was a full day, would be an understatement.   We’re both fighting to stay awake and beat the jet-leg as I type this.  If I can make it to 9pm, I’ll be very impressed with myself.

Tomorrow, I head out for my first run in Paris and then we will be visiting the city’s largest flea market: Marche Aux Puces. 

Wish us luck 😉

À bientôt!



2 Responses to “Paris: Day 1”

  1. June (Jeff from June's email) March 16, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

    Mom and Daughter having fun, Dad is at home looking at the pictures……just kidding, I am glad the trip has started off well with what looks like fantastic weather. Have fun you two, lots of love Dad.

  2. melissa cunningham March 17, 2012 at 8:35 am #

    how fun!!!!
    enjoy your run! (and some yumm-o food!)
    let us know how it goes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: